Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy New Year!

Our Traditional New Year's Day Dinner
It's a New Year, a new day, a new beginning - or the beginning of the end, as the first day of {allegedly} the last year of our lives.

J had to work today (heard it was a Good one; another county's Sheriff's office's firing range caught on fire), and me and the boys are spending the day at home just lounging around in our comfies and relaxing.
For a second I thought about calling my Aunt and seeing if they were having dinner or anything....kinda missing the old days when we used to get back together at Grannie's for our traditional dinner of Collard Greens and Black-eyed-peas.

Of course Grannie also always cooked fried chicken (NObody in my family can cook fried chicken anymore now) and green beans, potato salad, creamed corn, biscuits and gravy, cornbread and chocolate cake.
It's just not the same anymore without Grannie.
I wonder if that's why I tend to avoid family gatherings as much as I can anymore? because I dwell on old memories rather than making new ones?

Whatever the reason, I was enjoying laying in my new-to-us bed and reading on my Kindle.
It's a chilly, overcast, windy day, good for relaxing at home.  I unpacked a little bit, and fixed me and the boys some Collards, Black-eyed-peas, and cornbread for dinner.

I don't really have any New Year Resolutions. Mainly I'd just like to make some more progress on my Cluttering problem, and fix-up work on the house.
I'd like to get in the habit of sending Birthday cards again, to my more immediate family, at least.
And, maybe, possibly, I could try being a little more sociable, with my family that lives closer-by to me, at least.

I didn't succeed at that today, but tomorrow is another new day, another new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment