Sunday, June 05, 2011

What I Love About Sunday

Today was one of those Sundays I just love. A nice, summer, sunny, lazy Sunday, with no where to have to be and nothing to have to do.

Usually Sunday would be one of my big Qpon shopping days, but since I'm taking a break from that for the moment, it seemed a huge load off my shoulders.
J had to work at the firehouse today, so after I kicked him out of the bed and shut off the alarm clock, I turned over went back to sleep for another couple of hours.

Sooooooo niiiiicce!

Since my "job" is my home and family, I'm always at work, but for today I decided I was *mostly* going to take a break.
Number One I wasn't going to worry about anything. Anything that needed worrying about could wait to be worried about on Monday.

I cooked the boys breakfast because I wanted to and enjoyed it: scrambled eggs and waffles for K, oatmeal and cinnamon rolls for R.
I enjoyed cleaning up the dishes in the bright, sunshiny kitchen.
I washed a load of laundry because, well that's pretty much not even work, it washes itself, but also I like hanging it out on the back-porch line.

That may sound weird to most people, but it brings back memories of summers spent with my grandparents and great-grandparents on their farms. Playing around as the Grannies hung up laundry on a sunny, summer day.

I spent most of the day reading. I read everyday, but usually I read while I'm taking a break between tasks or whatever.  Today I did tasks while taking breaks in reading.

The only thing I did I really had to make myself do was clean the bathroom. I *hate* that job and put it off *forever*.  But I got it done, so I felt like I accomplished something big, and that made my good day even better.

J asked me to take some pics of the garden and send to him so he could show his partner the progress it was making, so I'll share them here, too:
In front are our (wilting; need rain!) cucumbers; behind that are my first-try cabbages. I've never grown cabbage before, so not sure how these are going to turn out. They don't look like what I thought cabbage plants looked like.  Behind those are corn, with some stray tomato plants mixed in. (J refused to pluck them when they started growing there, from the compost soil he added to the garden area, he thinks.)
Behind the corn is Cherry tomatoes, Iglesius our Farmer, and Sweet Banana peppers. Then behind that is four rows of tomatoes.

We have six Black Russian tomato plants J's partner started earlier at the station, than the ones I started here. The Black Russians are starting produce.

My Cabbage plants. Where's the cabbage head? Doesn't look like my neighbors cabbage, but theirs are older than mine, so maybe mine will eventually grow whatever it's supposed to.

The Cukes are so wilty, and in bad need of weeding. I bought J a soaker hose I think he needs to use on these. I don't know why he won't. Last year we lost our whole crop of cukes due to heat and/or dryness.

The tomatoes are doing well, growing good. I hope I can keep up with them come canning time. I didn't mean to have 4 rows of them. That's twice, or maybe more, tomato plants than we ever had before.

We ended up with three Cherry tomato plants that grew on their own from some of the compost soil. My oldest son, D will be happy, he eats these things like candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment