Friday, June 24, 2011

Slow Week

Slow week...lazy week...I spent most of the week reading instead of working because hey, I can.
If there's one thing I've learned in all my many years, it's that housework will wait for you. If I don't clean out that storage room until next year, it will still be there next year.

Any JR Ward fans visiting?

Dark Lover. J.R. Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood 1)
I just discovered the Black Dagger Brotherhood series this year. And pretty glad for it, since I had like 9 or 10 books waiting for me, instead of having to wait six months or more between.
When I started out I was getting paperbacks from the UBS or PBS - hadn't discovered 4S yet - and I did get kind of stalled in the middle somewhere while waiting on another book to become available.

In the meantime, I had gotten a copy of Covet, the first in her new Fallen Angels series, so I went ahead and read it.  Although I knew the book took place in the same city as the BDB, I completely missed some BDB references because I hadn't read Phury or Rehv's stories yet.

So anyway, finished the BDB books, and eventually got ahold of Crave, the second book in the Fallen Angels series.  I wasn't all as excited to read it because I hadn't enjoyed the first book anywhere near as much as I had the BDB books, but I finally decided to go ahead and read it this week.
And, boy, was I lost.  I was like, what? who? I don't remember that - Huh?

So I had to pretty much go back and re-read Covet to even know what I was reading in Crave.

Covet (Fallen Angels, Book 1) Crave (Fallen Angels, Book 2)

That's one thing that really sucks about having such a bad short term memory. Usually it's a perk because I can just re-read books and they be like new stories again!  But in series books, not so much.

Oh well, I could talk about reading all day.

In other news, my Mom called to tell us my Dad had Melanoma on his neck. They caught it early, and cut it out the next day. He was cut nearly from ear to ear (no pics, yet) and has like 55 stitches.  Said he should be fine.
Since I had one of these spots cut out of my back, like, 22 years ago, I know that's probably true and there's nothing to worry about.

Otherwise I've kinda been getting ready for vacation.
I'm usually the kind of person that likes to have the room booked and activities planned out before I ever even leave home.
I did get the room(s) booked, but when I went to look at the activities, my eyes went out of focus and I zoned out.  Seems to be the same old things as alot of other places we've visited: Civil War Museums, Battlefields, old Plantations, aquarium.
Maaan, all I really care about is the Beach. I told J I wasn't going to pack anything but my bikini; I didn't need anything else.

But the boys like to go and do and see, so hopefully we'll find some brochures and suggestions for stuff to do when we get there.

I posted about the trip at my Travel blog:
The Travelin' Croakers


So, a few weeks ago I had to change the dates/track of the Driving Experience R was going to do, which was how we ended up going to SC instead of FL.
I had emailed them again to ask a question about the forms, and never got an answer back. The other day I went to the website to...I don't know...just look. Make sure, I dunno, that they were still there I guess.

There was a message on the site that the offices would be closed through the rest of the week for Staff training.
Yep, I had a bad feeling.

So today I get an email that says sorry, they are going to have to cancel due to legal issues. I can request a refund, or wait to reschedule.
I go online and search and sure enough, on the Groupon message boards, there are all of a sudden alot of complaints; people's reservations have been cancelled, and some people showed up at the track to find no one there!

Can't say I was surprised; sometimes being psycho and knowing things ahead of time is helpful. I mean, yeah, I was disappointed, I know R was looking forward to it. But at least it didn't come as a shock; the rug yanked out from under my feet. I *really* hate that worse than anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The BDB series are in the Nook format - they might have to be next on my list. Thanks for the suggestion. Happy Saturday!!

Melissa said...

Ooh, yeah, I looooved the BDB.

I'm not real big on vampire and parnormal stories. I used to be but then I think I got burnt out on Sherilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan, and quit reading anything about vampires or shape-shifters or anything like that for a long time.

Mostly I read historical romance, with a bit of contemporary romance thrown in for something different.
And some Erotica.
I didn't much like the erotica books I was able to get, though.

But then last year, right about the same time, I lost interest in the historical romance, and got ahold of some really good erotica.

Anyway a FB friend had mentioned the BDB earlier and I decided to try the first one, just to see. I had alot of UBS credit to spend on something so no big loss if I didn't like it.

They are written in such a unique format, like I've not read before. Usually series are written to be mostly stand-alone, you see characters you know from another book, but it doesn't make a difference to the story if you didn't read the other book.
These aren't like that. You pretty much have to read them in order, and most of the characters are fairly prominent in all the stories, and you get to interact with them over and over again, as opposed to them kinda disappearing after their book is done.
I like that.

Post a Comment