Friday, October 04, 2013

Thrift Store/Deal/Coupon Shopping

For Halloween, Ryan plans to go hang out with a buddy who lives in a subdivision (we live in a neighborhood, but no one trick-or-treats here). He wants to dress up as a realistic Scarecrow and stand in a yard of someone who has decorated for Halloween and pretend to be just one of the decorations, until a kid comes along he can jump at and scare the crap of, haha.

So he wanted to go check out some thrift stores/Goodwill looking for clothes he could use for a costume, cheaper than spending $$ at a Halloween store.
I had some Coupon/Deal Shopping I wanted to do, so we set out.

These were the junk treasures I found at Goodwill.
The pop-gun roll caps were 55¢. I have unofficially, here and there, started a bit of a toy gun collection because the way things and people are going, I'm thinking toy guns may be on the endangered species list, headed towards extinction.

The blue checkered cooler I don't (consciously) know anything about. Something about it tickles my memory, but I can't recall what.
I saw it, grabbed it, and said "This is awesome." Ryan said, "I said the same thing." So I said I was going to get it, and J (as negative as usual) muttered, "I can't believe she's going to buy that."
So I decided I didn't need it and put it back on the shelf. I was still there looking at other things when a lady  comes up and picks up the cooler to check it out.
You don't know how close I came to snatching it out of her paws and snarling "Mine."
Luckily for her she put it down.

It cost $1.91.  I tried searching for more info, but either it's not out there, or I'm a terrible Searcher (probably the latter), but according to this post on Etsy it's a cooler from the 1950's. (Hard to believe, if that's true, given the almost excellent condition it's in.)


This little ceramic church was also $1.91 at Goodwill. It appears to be handmade, and I really liked the 'stained glass windows'.

At Christmas, my Aunt has a very lovely church - not the same as this one, hers is made of black metal - but she sits it on her fireplace hearth and puts one of those little flickering battery-powered candlelights in it, and it is the prettiest thing.

I put the flickering battery-powered candelight in mine, and it looks like my church is on fire.
Sigh.


These items were at a private thrift store on down the street.
The red apple basket was 50¢. I have a few of them. We use them sometimes when we have stuff to gather out of the garden, but mostly I like the way they look and keep around my back porch for a Country flavor.

The Maid-Rite laundry scrub board was $3.00. I don't know if it's vintage or not, I think they still make these new. Either way, it'll make a great laundry room decoration on the cheap.


This is a Glasbake divided dish. Competitor of Pyrex back in the day. I didn't recall having heard of Glasbake before, but when I got to searching and saw some of the pictures I realize we had some pieces when I was growing up. I don't know if it's not as collectible as Pyrex or Fire King, I don't hear much about it.

This dish cost $3.00. There was also a solid white one. I debated buying both, probably should have bought neither, but settled on the tomato-red & white one.


'Tis the time of year for fantastic candy sales. Between Halloween and Christmas we usually have enough candy to last us well into the next year.

With the Target sale + gift card offer + coupons, I was able to get these big bags of candy for $4.50 each.
They were On Sale for $9.99, so regularly 4 bags would be more than $40.00. Yikes.


I haven't shopped Rite Aid in a long time, since they changed all the rules with their sales and video coupons and customer card and....
Anyway, a deal came along yesterday that was easy enough - *Like* their Facebook page and print a coupon for $2.00 off of $5.00 worth of 6-packs of Nestle fun-size candy bars.
Even better, no one even knew that you would get 3 $1.00 Rewards if you bought 6 packs of Butterfingers. (The only choices were Butterfinger and Baby Ruth, and we don't like Baby Ruth.)
Nice surprise!
My 6 6-packs of Butterfingers ended up costing 70¢ total.


I planned to buy some Candy Corn to make a snack recipe I had saw posted, where they say mixing Candy Corn and peanuts tastes like a Payday candy bar. I don't know if that's true, but I know J loves candy corn and peanuts, so I didn't think it could be a bad mix.

I had seen candy corn on sale for 3/$5 at Ingles grocery store, but wanted to check Walmart to see if they had it cheaper. They didn't, so I was going back to Ingles, but then when we stopped in Rite Aid for the candy bars, I saw they had these huge 40oz bags on sale for $4.99.
I'm pretty sure the $3/5 bags were like 9oz size, so this was a much better deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment