Friday, May 31, 2013

Update: Potato Condos

Well, I guess I'll never be a landscaper type person in this lifetime, since I have no concept of how much cubic feet and cubic yards are or how much of either is needed to fill what doesn't look like that large of a box. (We've already determined I'll never be a mathematician, either.)

I suggested to my oldest son whose fondest dream is to be an actor that he gather up several of friends and film them all out in the yard digging holes, and make a movie and call it "Holes".
I'm sure a movie like that would be a big hit. They might even make a book about it.

But mostly, I could have had the dirt they dug up, hahaha.

Anyway, we broke down and went and bought what we're told is 1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet of top soil = $39.00 + tax.


When I saw it I was like, great! I'll fill these boxes and probably have half left to put in the compost bin for later.
Ennnnt - wrong.

It didn't even fill the boxes up as far as the slats we had on them, much less adding more all the way up as we'd planned.


So, that's it. We're calling it done. Whatever grows in this amount of dirt/space is what there'll be. (If anything.)

We did, however, go ahead and add slats and fill up the 2'x'2' box, which was the size the original directions said to make it. Just to see if the experiment would have worked had we stuck with that.


This will probably be my last potato condo update until the Fall when it's harvest time and we open it up and see if we were able to grow any potatoes at all, if not a million pounds worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment