Thursday, May 09, 2013

Homemade Whatchamacallit

Many (most?) people don't know or remember that when the Whatchamacallit candy bars first came out back in the late 1970's, it didn't have the layer of caramel in it.
I liked those soooo much better.



So when I saw a Pin on Pinterest today for Homemade Whatchamacallit bars, and they didn't call for caramel, I thought I had found the original recipe, and rushed right into the kitchen to make up a batch.


I got busy making them and didn't take pictures as I went. Besides, the website I got the idea from has lots of nice pictures, so why reinvent the wheel, right.


I used milk chocolate rather than the bittersweet chocolate the other recipe called for because I don't like dark chocolate, and didn't have any. I also used Butterscotch chips as originally called for rather than peanut butter the other lady substituted because I had butterscotch and no peanut butter.

My chocolate chips gave me trouble. I don't know if it was the off-name brand, or ? I don't know what. It just didn't want to smooth out.

I put the bars into the freezer to set, but I still had trouble with them softening and bending when I was trying to dip them into the chocolate.
The chocolate gooped all up on them, I had about half a batch of bars left that I put in the freezer to dip later because I ran out of chocolate tonight.


In the end, they still weren't what I was looking for. I can't really describe it, they aren't bad, but they taste caramel-y, or nougat-y, or something not like what I was hoping for.

I don't know food, like what certain ingredients put together will turn into: does brown sugar, corn syrup, peanut butter and butterscotch chips make caramel or nougat? If so, what I can leave out, or change, to make it more like the original bar back around 1980?
Nobody can tell me because so few people seem to know/remember how it was originally.

Anyway, if you're a fan of Whatcahmacallit candy bars as they currently are, you'll probably enjoy these. They aren't too difficult to make - if your chocolate cooperates better. Oh, and they'd probably also taste better using Hershey chocolate chips.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I love Whatchamacallits! Brown sugar will definitely give you a caramel taste (brown sugar and water makes caramel). Using white sugar would change the flavor. I'm definitely going to try these.

Melissa said...

Thanks Jessica, I'll give it a try with changing the sugar.
Thanks for visiting!

Post a Comment