Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wednesday Book Whoreding


I've been kind of busy with other stuff this past week/weekend and haven't gotten much reading in.

I got news day before yesterday that my new Kindle Fire has shipped, so I'm looking for it to arrive at any time (today, for my birthday, would be good!).


This week I read Maya Banks The Darkest Hour, Book 1 of the KGI series.
KGI is Kelly Group Int'l, sort of a private military-ish special ops group ran by the ex-military Kelly brothers.
This book features the middle brother, Ethan, who's wife, Rachel, was thought to have been killed in a plane crash in South America a year ago.
The book was emotional (which I have no idea why I enjoy so much, since I *despise* crying), and dramatic and I enjoyed it and look forward to reading about more of the Kelly brothers and KGI.

It wasn't until after I finished the book and thought about it that I realized I was sort of disappointed at the lack of hot and sexy sex scenes. The sex scenes were pretty tame, and I had the idea that Maya Banks' stories were hotter than that.
But as I said, I enjoyed the story and didn't realize I was expecting more sex until I thought about it later. Had I not expected hot sex scenes to start with, then I wouldn't have thought another thing about it, so my bad for assuming things.


And of course I had to read the obvious: Seducing Simon.
(I've seen other readers' make fun of the *decapitated* guy in the cover photos, but honestly, I prefer it. I think I might have been turned off on this story before I even opened it.)

The story itself was just "Meh" to me.
Toni lives with her firefighter brother, Matt, in their family home, along with roommates, Simon and AJ, also firefighters.  Toni has had a crush on Simon forever.
The night Simon was going to prospose to his girlfriend, he caught her in bed with another man (Seriously?). He got drunk and ended up in the bed with Toni, and doesn't remember it the next day.
Two months later, Toni discovers she's pregnant and is too embarrassed to tell him what happened.

She knows she has to tell him, but wants to see if she can make him love her, rather than be with her because of the baby.

There is the inevitable firefighter(s)-nearly-getting-killed-on-the-job and firefighter(s)-rescuing-heroine for big drama purposes scenes.

I have gotten started on No Place to Run, Book 2 of the KGI series, featuring brother Sam Kelly.

I haven't even read the premise of Sam's story, but it has started out Hot! Now that's what I'm talking about.

From Amazon:
The last person Sam Kelly expected to save was Sophie Lundgren. Once they shared a brief, intense affair while Sam was undercover and then she vanished. She's spent the last few months on the run, knowing that any mistake would cost her both her life and that of their unborn child. Now she's resurfaced with a warning for Sam: this time, he's the one in danger.

After that I'll read Hidden Away, Book 3 of the KGI series, brother Garrett's story.

From Amazon:
Most people would take an all-expense=paid trip to the beach in a heartbeat. Garrett Kelly only accepts to keep tabs on Sarah Daniels, who's in hiding after witnessing a murder committed by her half brother-a personal enemy of KGI. But Garrett hadn't planned on falling for Sarah. When he glimpses her dark past, he feels an urgent desire to keep her safe-even as she disappears, running for her life.

I'll have to wait until January for the next installment, Whispers in the Dark, Nathan Kelly's story.

Hmm, it appears to lean towards paranormalcy, and sounds a bit similar to Lora Leigh's Wild Card, where the hero (also named Nathan, as a matter of fact) was able to survive a hellish captivity because of the deep connection with his wife.

I loved Wild Card, so I hope this story either measures up, or is actually completely different so I don't make comparisons.

From Amazon:
She came to him when he needed her the most.

She came to him at his lowest point. The voice of an angel, a whisper in the dark. She's the only thing that gets Nathan Kelly through his captivity, the endless days of torture and the fear that he'll never return to his family. With her help, he's able to escape. But he isn't truly free, because now she's disappeared and he's left with an all-consuming emptiness as he struggles to pick up the pieces of his life. Did he imagine his angel? Or is she out there, needing his help as he'd once needed her?

Now he rushes to save her before it's too late.

Shea has been on the run from people who will stop at nothing to exploit her unique abilities. She never wanted to drag Nathan, who'd already suffered so much, into danger, but she doesn't have a choice so she reaches out to him for help. Finally face-to-face after having already formed a soul-deep bond in hell, their emotional connection is even more powerful than their telepathic one. Nathan refuses to consider ever letting her go again, but she worries they can never have a life free of the dangers that dog her every step. He'll protect her with his every breath, but can he convince her that they are meant to face these threats together?

No comments:

Post a Comment