Sunday, September 29, 2013

One Week in September

Truthfully, I have no idea if it's been a week, two, or how long. Time seems to have no meaning for me anymore....except for maybe flies.
I was just thinking the other morning about how people say "Thank God it's Friday" and I was over here like, "It's already Friday again?".  
"It's already October?'
"It's already 2013?"
"I'm already 46 years old?" 

No, I am not 46 years old, LOL. At my last birthday I decided 45 sounded too old, too near 50, so I wasn't going to do it. I stuck with 44, until a couple of months ago, when I had to go for skin cancer surgery and saw "Age: 45" written on my chart. Seriously, it freaked me out. I am not that old.
But then a few weeks ago when I was visiting with my Mom and Aunt and we were talking about ages, and one of them asked me how old I was now - 46? - and I said Yep, and nodded. Believing it.
It wasn't until just a couple of days ago (more or less) that I realized I was not 46 yet.
Where the heck did that come from? I know I said I wasn't going to *do* 45, but I sure didn't mean to skip right on ahead. Geez.

Anyhoo, it wasn't a very interesting week. I spent most of it reading.

I canned the last of the Pears I brought home from my parents' last week.


I just made a light syrup using 5 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar brought to a boil. Peeled and sliced the pears and packed them into hot jars and added the syrup. Processed in a water bath for...some time. 20 or 25 minutes to make sure.


And then there was these: (Well, three of the 14 plants there actually are):


These are called Bishop's Crown peppers, because when you turn them upright (upside down?) they resemble a Bishop's Crown.  (Sorry I didn't get a demonstrative photo of that)
They may also be called a Christmas Bell.


I don't even like peppers, but I am just so pleased with these.
If you missed the story of how they came to be, basically we brought one single Bishop's Crown pepper home from a visit last summer to St. Augustine, Florida and J wrapped it in duct tape - haha, I wouldn't recommend that in general - then this Spring we opened it up and got the seeds out of it and sprouted them.
14 plants from one single pepper.
Each of those plants have a good 20 or better peppers on them.


Our Salsa garden idea didn't work out well (didn't get many tomatoes, and peppers ripened after tomato plants have died anyway) so I really didn't know what I was going to do with all the peppers. I don't usually cook with peppers, but I decided to freeze them so as not to waste them and maybe I will look up recipes using peppers (or better yet, give them to someone else).

I did find one suggestion that said filling them with cream cheese and baking them were good.
So I cut open the tops to de-seed them and they are ready for filling/baking.


I got a good gallon size bag out of the first crop. There'll be some more before it's over.


Started with 14 seeds (we had 100% germination, believe it or not) - now have hundreds, maybe thousands of seeds.


If you'd be interested in trying to grow some of these lovelies of your own, hit me up and I'll send you some seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment