Monday, September 16, 2013

Apple Adventures Day 3

Apple-preserving production shut down a few days ago with the loss of our poor Kitty and other random bad luck happenings such as cutting and burning myself in the process.

But I still had (have) apples that need something done with before they rot and are wasted, so I got back to work today.

Another thing holding me up was that I wasn't sure what to make next. I made apple pie filling, applesauce, and apple jelly. I have several jars of apple butter my Mom had made previously. I looked around on the internet for some ideas but nothing jumped out at me, so I settled on attempting to make my own batch of apple butter.

I settled on this Crockpot Apple Butter recipe from Money Saving Mom because it sounded easy, I didn't have any Allspice or Cider (that other recipes called for), and she gave me free printables.

Ingredients:

  • 6 pounds medium apples 
  • 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups raw or brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3-4 teaspoons cinnamon

  • Peel, core, and slice apples in fourths. Put them in the crockpot with the vanilla and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir every few hours. Once apples are very, very tender, mash with a potato masher and stir in sugar and spices. Cook on low for another 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally.

     

    I also filled another jar with Leavings to make some more Apple Cider Vinegar.


    This is the jar of ACV I started last week. I don't know too much about ACV but it appears to be on track as far as I know. It's smelling vinegary, although not too strong yet.


    I gave it a stir-up and bubbles came up like carbonated bubbles, or kinda like it was boiling. I believe that's a good sign.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment