Friday, November 08, 2013

Cast Iron

This morning I wanted to try to figure out what to do with my Christmas Cactus plants to try to get them to Bloom for the Holidays.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to. I read it says they need 12 hours of bright, but indirect sunlight, and 12 hours of complete darkness, and cool temps, around the 50's.
The Sun comes up on the South side of my house during the Fall/Winter, and our carport is on that side of the house, so basically, we don't get 12 hours of bright light in here. We get Sun in the kitchen and laundry room windows first thing in the morning but after that it pretty much always looks like a cloudy day in here, even when it's clear, blue sky outside.

I ended up moving them out to the laundry room on top of the washer so they'll get a couple hours of bright light anyway, but I'm afraid it's going to get chiller than the 50's out there, with our furnace not working. I have electric heaters going, and the gas fireplace in the livingroom on, but that doesn't help a lot out there.

While I was in the diningroom where I had been keeping the plants, I saw my cast iron pans and remembered I had wanted to do something with them, too. Clean them up, season them, hang them up. Maybe use them.


This cornbread pan had rust, so I cleaned it with salt & vegetable oil, greased it up and baked it on 250* for 30 minutes, greased it again, and baked it for 30 more minutes. Then I greased it again and set it out to cool.


I did the same with the corn-cob-stick-muffin pans, but the frying pans were new so I washed them in hot soapy water first before seasoning them with shortening and baking.

These pans are called "American Camper" and were bought a few years ago at a tool and supply sale at the local VFW.
J wanted them - As for me, this'll probably get me kicked out of the Southern Gal club, but I've never been a big fan of cooking with Cast Iron. Mostly, I didn't know about "seasoning" or how to care for them, as in, not washing them in soap and water. I had one little cast iron skillet (I wonder where it is now?) that I'd bake cornbread in, then I'd wash it in the sink, same as my other dishes and pots and pans.
They're also heavy, and I burned myself a lot.
So anyway, he bought them, and they've sat unused for years.


I simply have not a clue where I got any of these cornbread pans.

The cornbread slice pan to the far right is labeled "Made in China" on the reverse. I probably won't be using it.
The middle cornbread-cornstick-muffin pan doesn't have any markings at all that we could see.
The cornbread-cornstick-muffin pan on the left is a Lodge 2702.

Pretty much everywhere I saw these pans on the internet says they're "Vintage", but I don't know how to tell that.


I want to hang them up somewhere. I was thinking surrounding one of the kitchen doorways. I can picture that in my mind, obviously I think I've seen it somewhere before. But I have such a history of things not turning out in reality the same as it'd appeared in my mind, I'm afraid to try it.

So maybe on a wall in the mudroom/carport entrance where my Sweetheart cabinet lives.


I'll have to think about it some more, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment