Friday, November 08, 2013

Cast Iron Cooking

 Since I went to the trouble of cleaning up/seasoning my cast iron pans yesterday, I figured I'd get some use out of at least one of them.

 The only thing I ever really knew how to cook - dinner wise - in a cast iron pan is chicken. I searched online for cast iron cooking recipes, but it still came back to chicken. I wanted something easy for my first go at cast iron cooking.

I came across a really easy recipe for Homemade Chicken Strips at the Pioneer Woman blog.
She has pictures for every step and the recipe, so it seems kind of redundant to repeat it all here.

(I didn't have any buttermilk but my Mom had told me how to DIY my own with milk and lemon juice. Here's a website that tells about it: Make Your Own Buttermilk With Milk, Lemon Juice Or Vinegar.)

But here's the pic of my chicken strips frying in my cast iron pan:


And the finished product, which were really good if I do say so myself.


And clean up (the pan) was so freaking ridiculously easy, easier than my so-called non-stick pans, I'm like, WTH.  I scraped it out with a spatula and rinsed with hot water, wiping with a sponge. Just like that, clean as a whistle.  Dried it with paper towels, gave it a coat of shortening and that's that.

Next time I might try a cobbler or some kind of dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment