Friday, March 29, 2013

Homemade Reese's PNut Butter Eggs

One of J's favorite Easter treats is Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. He discovered he liked the (slightly cheaper) Palmer's brand Peanut Butter Eggs from Dollar General, too.

We looked a couple weeks or so for them at our local DG up the street but didn't find any, and then he just didn't bother trying to find them at any other stores because 1) didn't need to spend the money and 2) didn't need them to add to his weight he's kindly trying to watch.

Well, I saw a recipe for making your own homemade Peanut Butter Eggs at - where else? - Pinterest, and it was easy and the ingredients were all things I already had in my kitchen, so I figured I'd make up a batch for him, being it's Easter.


First I put 1 cup of peanut butter, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup (half a stick) of I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter in a pan. (The recipe calls for unsalted butter, but some people said it was too sweet and they added salt anyway, but this is what I had, so it's what I used.)


I melted the pnb, sugar, and butter all together until it was creamy and started bubbling a little bit. Then I removed it from the heat and started adding the powered sugar 1/4 cup a time. It called for 1 & 1/4 cups, so that would be five 1/4 adds, but I'm not sure if I lost count? After I added 1/4 what I thought was four times, it was thick and didn't seem like I'd be able to mix another 1/4 cup in. So I added 1 cup or 1 & 1/4 cup, not exactly sure which.


Made a thick peanut butter dough which I let sit for a bit and cool to room temperature.


I covered a cookie sheet with some wax paper, and formed "eggs" out of the peanut butter dough (they look more "egg-like" than they do in this picture).  I put them in the refrigerator to set for about 30 minutes.


The recipe says to melt the chocolate chips and shortnin' in the microwave, but it's way easier to do it in a pot on the lowest heat setting.


Then I dipped the "egg" into the melted chocolate chips with a fork. Don't stick the fork into the "egg". Actually I just tossed the "egg" into the chocolate, used the spoon to cover it, then lifted it out with the fork to allow it drain off most of the excess chocolate. It wanted to stick to the fork so I used a butter knife to help wriggle it off the fork back onto the wax paper covered cookie sheet.


Then I put them back into the fridge to set awhile.


My son Kevin is my other connoisseur of Reese's, though he prefers the Cups, so I gave him one to test out and he gave his approval.
He did say it might be better eaten while drinking milk because it was creamy, so I might have maybe needed that one last 1/4 cup of powdered sugar to make it more like a real Reese's.

Otherwise, this was probably one of the easiest recipes I've done to make one of the guys something they really like, and it kinda blows my mind that people pay $1.00 each, or $4.00 for a box of six.

For a printable version of the recipe, visit Brown Eyed Baker Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment