Monday, March 04, 2013

Make It Monday

Today I made our "Mexican Cheesy Fiesta Dip" for dinner.

My sister made this for us for dinner during one of our visits, and we loved it. Even though she/we call it a Dip, it has all the ingredients of a dinner, so we eat it as an entree'. We dip tortilla chips in it, but it could probably also be served on taco shells.

The original recipe that she adapted her version from was "Tostistos Super Nacho Fiesta". The recipe doesn't appear to be at the Frito Lay website anymore, but I found the same recipe here.

The recipe calls for 1/2 pound of ground beef and 1/2 of sausage. My gb and sausage are in 1 pound packages, so I just go ahead and brown it all up and then freeze the rest of it for the next time.
(Yes I do brown them together. Don't know a reason why not.)


The original recipe and my sister browns chopped onion in with meat also, but I don't love onions and don't cook with them much, so I hardly have any in the house.

Spread a can of Refried Beans over the bottom of a glass baking dish, I think mine is 9x11.


Spread a layer of the browned meat (onion) over the Refried beans.


 My sister loves cheese, so she uses about every kind she can in her recipes. Her recipe called for cheese in a jar like Chez Whiz, or Walmart's Creamy Cheese Sensation. I had Velveeta that I got while coupon/deal shopping so I used that. I just slice it up into pieces.
Spoon on Cream Cheese (mine is crumbly because it had been frozen).


Spread a layer of Shredded Cheddar cheese over the top.


Bake at 350* for not as long as I cooked mine today :\

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.


What happened was, last summer we visited with some of my cousins in St. Augustine and Cousin L gave J some peppers called Datil and Bishop's Crown.  J dried the peppers out, and this evening he broke them open to get the seeds out, to get ready for sprouting.

I picked the seeds up from the table and put them in baggies and labeled them....at some point I rubbed my nose with my hand and set myself on fire.  
OMG it hurt. Nothing helped, I washed with dishwashing soap and put on lotion and held a piece of ice wrapped in a napkin on it to relieve it.

It finally quit burning about 15 or 20 minutes later, and I remembered dinner was in the oven.

Oh well, not like they're not used to "well done" dinners around here, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment