Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Things Didn't Go as Planned

This post was supposed to have been posted this past Friday, and was supposed to be about what a nice time we had going on another Fall Family Adventure up to the North Georgia Mountains.

Instead, me and J came down with the Plague.

Okay it wasn't really the Plague, but it was still miserable. Head and chest crud.

He went to the Doctor for drugs, but I don't like going to the Doctor, I prefer to get over the sickies on my own as much as possible.
It's taken me longer, and I still have a pretty bad cough that makes my head thud, but I'm back to the point where I think I might live.

I spent most of the past week (or so) on the couch (so I can sleep sitting up so I can breathe), watching a lot of television.
Or, well, the tv was on. Don't much remember what was on. 

At first, when I wasn't quite so sick (and dumbly thinking I wouldn't get sicker) I watched movies on Netflix and worked a little on my craft stuff. 

At some point I had the idea that I wanted to make a Glitter House/Putz house Nativity.

I don't know why, or where the idea came from, but I knew the look I was going for was like the old Shiny Brite Nativity, manger scene, plastic Christmas decoration.

Via Etsy
 I have a vague memory of the one my Great-Grandma had when I was a kid, back in the early 1970's, but all the different ones on the internet, I can't remember exactly which one it was.
I was thinking hers had palm trees, but then again, maybe not.

I was trying to put palm trees with mine, but the boys didn't like the palm as well as the Christmas trees, so I went with their preference.

I looked online for a stable/manger pattern but didn't find what I was looking for, so I decided to adapt the Halloween house from Little Glitter Houses.

I didn't have any Nativity figures in my crafts or Christmas stash so I had to wait until I felt like getting out and going anywhere to look for any.
R needed to go out earlier so I went along and looked in Micheal's, K-Mart, and Dollar Tree. The only set I was able to find was a mini 6-piece set at Micheal's craft store.

It still isn't complete because I'm at one of my stand-stills, where I know I'm not done, but don't know what to do next.

 (Warning: bad photos ahead)

Yes, it is "warp-sided"...it's supposed to be an old (animal shelter), wood nailed together willy-nilly without precise measurements, weathered, whatever.

 
I added the flicker-light way up at the top inside so it's not visible at eye level, but kind of looks like a flickering star from underneath.


This was an ecru colored button from a Victorian button package that I painted.
(The picture makes it look horrid. It really doesn't look that bad IRL.)


The split-rail fence I made from popcicle sticks.


I glittered the roof with silver glitter, like the old Shiny Brite Nativity set.

I'm hesitating on glittering the rest of it with the iridescent glitter because when I glittered my log cabin it didn't turn out so well. Seemed like the glitter masked a lot of the color and or detail. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but I don't know if it would mess this one up.


The one Wise-man and the two tiny lambs in the yard are so small, it leaves a lot of empty area that needs filling, but I'm afraid I won't find other animals on the same size scale, and I don't really have any other ideas (ATM) for what else I could add to fill in some empty space.

*I notice in the background of some of the pictures you can see the Magazine Christmas tree I'm (sort of) working on.

I had pinned This Pin the other day, and the next day or so I got a catalog in the mail. After I finished looking at it and didn't see anything I wanted to buy (saw a lot I wanted, nothing I should be wasting money on) I sat and folded all the pages into a Christmas tree.
Just that easy.

I just did it to see if I could, not really intending to make a Magazine Christmas tree.
Eventually I'll probably decide to paint and decorate it. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment