Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Deals of the Day

Still have been working on trying to set up this Yard Sale. I got more stuff put out yesterday, but still have a lot to go.

J got the front porch cleaned off, where we've been stashing scrap metal and aluminum. He also hauled off a refrigerator we had been going to repair and sell, but he was having trouble finding the part, or it cost more than he wanted to pay, or something. Anyway, just got tired of it sitting there taking up space, so off it went.
Between the scrap metal and aluminum, he made $68.00 and change.

I decided to try to expand the Yard Sale to the front porch.That was my plan to do today, figure out how to rig up some more tables/display, and tying up wire/rope for hanging clothes.

Then Ryan comes down and says he wants to go to Goodwill or somewhere to look for a suit jacket to wear to his job interview (for an ambulance service) on Friday.

So, we went a thriftin'.

He didn't find anything that fit at the first store, but I found a long-sleeved shirt in what looked like "Autumn Gold" colors on the $1.00 rack, and also a utensil tray for the camper. I'd planned to eventually get one at the Dollar Tree, but paying 50¢ was even better.


 The next thrift store didn't have clothes, and is really more an antique store than thrift store, kinda misleading.

I passed up this large, plastic table for $1.00 even though I could have used it for my Yard Sale. Later I could have painted it with Krylon for Plastics, but then I didn't know what I would do with it after that.  I am getting rid of plastic patio furniture at the Yard Sale, so last thing I needed was to buy more.
But, dang it! It was only a dollar. I should have gotten it.


Neither of us found any Treasures at the next couple of thrift stores or the Goodwill, and he ended up finding what he needed at Kohl's.

On the way home we stopped into Walgreens to pick up some sale items.
They have Oscar Meyer bacon, 2/$8.00 and then I earned back 2,000 Points, which I can redeem later for $2.00, making the bacon $3.00 each.
This bacon is usually $7.98 a pound, so $3.00 is a great price to stock up.

I had planned to use my Points to pay for the Vitamin Water, but the Know-it-All Manager (the kind who thinks they know it all but are typically wrong) told me I couldn't redeem Points to buy an item that was supposed to give me a Register Reward back. Which, of course, was wrong.
But I didn't argue, and just paid $1.50 for the Vitamin Water, and got back a $1.50 RR (Register Reward), making the Vitamin Water free.

The tuna is on sale for 79¢ a can (Tuna is typically around $1.00 a can). I spent my $1.50 RR and paid 13¢ cash.


Then we stopped in at Kroger grocery store because they're having a Buy 4 (specified items), Get Free milk.
I needed cereal, and I needed milk, so that works out good for me.
Usually works out better when better cereal choices are offered.  There wasn't many varieties included in the deal, and we don't like at least half of them.

Only two kinds were included that matched the coupons I had: 50¢ off Rice Krispies, and $1.00/3 Frosted Flakes, Corn Pops, Apple Jacks (some other kind I can't remember).  Out of all the cereal listed on the coupon, only Frosted Flakes were included, so I ended up having to get 3 boxes of Frosted Flakes.

Oh well, we eat them...but we like Corn Pops better!


The cereal is on sale 4/$10, or $2.50 each.
I used 50¢ and $1.00/3 coupons = $8.50, or $2.12 each + free Milk.

I don't usually pay as much as $2.12 for cereal, but in the cases where cereal is on sale for $1.99 and I have a 50¢ (or less) coupon and end up paying around $1.50 or so for cereal, then I still have to buy Milk. Milk at $3.58 divided by 4 boxes of cereal adds about 90¢ onto each box.

Bonus!
I'll enter my Three codes from my specially marked boxes and get a free book from Scholastic. 


When we got back home, all I wanted was a nap. I didn't take a nap (I'd have been up all night), but I didn't get any work done outside, either. 

Tomorrow morning I'm going to the food give away at a local food pantry, then hopefully after that I can get some more setting up done.

Beyond that, I'm going to just end up carting boxes full of whatever out in the driveway and let people have to weed through them. I hate doing that but dang, this has become such a big ordeal, when I'm pretty sure it should be a lot simpler.

No comments:

Post a Comment