Thursday, May 29, 2014

In and Out and In and Out....

A few days ago (I lost track exactly when) I wanted to wash the bedsheets, and decided it was time to change out our Winter Flannel for the smooth, cool, Summer Percale.

But first, I had to find them.

I don't currently have a linen closet, except the bottom shelf of the upstairs bathroom closet where I kept the boys' twin sets. Ryan's full size sheets, and our Queen size sheets have ended up in a few different places randomly. Some live in a clothes basket in the laundry room floor. Some are in plastic/zippered bags like you buy new sheets/blankets/curtains in stacked upstairs in the big room with the blankets, quilts, throws, etc. I found one stacked on top of the beach towels (stacked on a table by my sewing machine).

I dug around everywhere and pulled out every sheet (sheets, sets, mismatched, pillow cases) I could find. There were a couple of garbage bags with them, too, that I got from the lady (cleaning out the Grandmother's house) off Freecycle a month or so ago.

I unfolded and inspected and went through all of them, and ended up parting with a good garbage bag full of old sheet sets, misc sheets, and odd pillow cases. (Non Percale)
There were also (3) no-longer-working heated blankets I had piled up in the laundry room to get rid of, a couple of small throw blankeys, and a red velvet throw pillow I had been going to make a new cover for.
I loaded up about 3-4 bags of bed linens and took to the thrift store and donated it.

There was also a pile of clothing on the couch one of J's friends had given after his son had cleaned out. Unfortunately, neither my oldest pudgy-wudgy nor two skinny-minnies could wear most of it. I bagged up two bagfuls to pass along to my sister who has more "normal" sized boys, and one bag of clothes I also donated to the thrift store.

In the end I couldn't (yet) give up the boys' old bedsheets from when they were littler.
Toy Story, Aladdin, Rugrats, Blue's Clues, Pokemon, Power Rangers, Goosebumps, Spongebob, Pirates of the Caribbean (not pictured) and NWO Wrestling sheets/blanket set (also not pictured)(they were in the washer).


I also still have a Sesame Street and Barney toddler bed set I can't (yet) let go.
Since I've had the Toddler bed set(s) for...let's see, the Barney set was Ryan's and he's - how old? About to be 24, I think - yeah, that long, it's probably a safe bet that barring any catastrophic events, I'll probably never let the sheet sets go.

Oh well, one day I'll be dead and gone and they can do whatever they want to with them.
In the meantime, I crammed them all into a plastic tub and they'll be tucked out of the way up in the attic.



*Though the Title of the Post was referencing stuff coming in, and stuff going out, in my head I was singing the line from The Who's "Mama's Got A Squeezebox". Heard it on the radio the other day. I had no idea how dirty that song sounded when I was a kid, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment