Monday, March 31, 2014

Field Trip!

LOL, I don't get out much.

No, really, I don't. On Saturday we drove over to Alabama to look at a camper and were so near to a family friend's house we had to stop by and visit. J had called to see if he was home, but hadn't mentioned that I was with him. When T saw me in the car he started yelling! He couldn't believe I was there! He got a couple of phone calls while we were there, and told the people, most of who don't even know me, that I had actually come to see him. Haaaaa.

I like being at home. It's my sanctuary, where I'm comfortable. Everything I need is here, my books (Kindle), crafts, internet, gardening, my back porch, my yard, my bed, big screen tv with Netflix...
Everything I don't need is not here: The %$*^# Public.

Well, but, sometimes I need (ie want) things that I don't have so I have to just deal with The %$*^# Public and go get it.

In this case, I had a list of things I wanted from Ikea, namely countertops, and also drawer pulls/knobs.
We were able to re-use the cabinets, but because of the different lay-out the old countertops won't fit. Such a shame. (Not really, I don't really like the old countertops.)
I didn't like any of the home improvement store's in-stock countertops, so I checked out Ikea's countertops online and found one I thought I liked. I thought it was a lot thinner than it is, because I have no real concept of measurement, 1 1/2 inches sounds thinner than it looks. It looks 3 or 4 inches thick to me.

I also thought it was more shiny/glossy than it is. I don't know if I'm going to like these, either.
But I got them anyway because I still liked it better than the ones at the home improvement store, and they were cheap. I got the longer ones, about 8 feet, for $69.00 each. Total, not per square foot, like the quartz or granite or other ones that had also.
Total $138.00 for new kitchen countertops.


 I got these drawer pulls and knobs. I hope they match well. I didn't see any Fagleboda knobs.



I also got a couple of these black under-the-cabinet railing, hooks, and one of the white metal oblong containers, and 2 of the white metal bucket containers. They seemed like a good idea at the time, and mostly, they look good, but I don't really know what I'm going to use them for. The idea is to keep stuff up off your counters, but all the stuff that's on my counters now, I don't plan to have on my counters in the new kitchen. Oh well, I'm sure there'll be stuff ended up in them.


We looked at lighting for over the sink, but I couldn't decide what I wanted, so didn't get anything.

When I get to go to Ikea, that means J gets to go to The Varsity.  If you're not familiar, the Varsity is an Atlanta landmark, open since 1928, on the campus of Georgia Tech University. (The place was Vintage when my Uncle went to Georgia Tech in the 1960's!)
They're famous for hollering "What'll ya have, what'll ya have, what'll ya have!" when you walk up - and you better know what you want, they aren't patient - Varsity chili dogs, onion rings, and Frosted Oranges (milkshakes that taste like the Push-up ice creams).

I wasn't feeling the chili today, so I got a "naked" dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment