Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunny Sunday

We had a lovely, sunny Sunday today. Temps up in the low 60's, nice enough for me to hang a load of laundry out on the line today.

I also decided to water my plants today.

Of course I've watered them along over the Winter, so it's not like today was the first day I'd watered them since whenever.


I don't know how other people water indoor plants without getting water all over and everywhere. I bring all mine to the sink in turns, water as many as I can fit in there, let them drain awhile, then return them to...where ever they are living, all over the place right now. I'll be glad when I can take them all back onto the backporch and leave them. I can just water them where they sit out there and not have to worry about it.

My kitchen window sill is lined up with baby Aloe plants that were born all this past Fall & Winter. And a Hen & Chick my Aunt gave me for Christmas in a hypertufa pot she made.

My original Aloe plant - which actually isn't my original original one, but a "pup" of the original one I was given by my oldest son's fiance' - has grown like crazy. She's turned over to the side. I'm pretty sure I need to replant her in a bigger pot come Spring.
I'll probably just give her away, like I did the original original plant when it got too big, and just grow one of the babies. Er, grandbabies. Or, great-grandbabies, because I'm pretty sure I'm three or four generations in. Maybe more?

My Rosemary plant, I'm pretty sure, is dead as a doornail.



Another "pup" coming along.


And another.


I posted back in September that my Mom had given me a couple of Christmas Cactus and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get them to bloom.

I read several websites, and tried to do what they said, but nothing happened. So I just said oh well and sat them in the kitchen floor...to just sit there, I guess.

The conditions weren't anything like the 'net recommended, but I actually got a bloom or three for Christmas.

The rest of the blooms came later, and are still in the process making new blooms.



For no reason in particular, I decided to prune the plants, and, since I hate waste, decided to try to propagate the cuttings.

To prune/propagate, all you do is pinch off parts of the plant in the joints, and stick into soil.

Some of the sections had already grown roots, just hanging in the air, on the plant. How easy is that.


I propagated several of the cuttings into the same pot I pruned them from, because it was half empty.


Other cuttings I planted in a recycled rotisserie chicken container.


Hopefully these will do as good as the Aloe. Not as bad as the roses I keep trying to propagate, but kill instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment