Saturday, June 02, 2012

What Happened?

I went to sleep last night, and when I woke up this morning it was Autumn already. It was cold!

I think it was in the 50's, but the humidity is really low, and there's a chilly wind blowing. It's 72* now, but feels chillier. I turned the a/c off and opened the doors and windows, but I'm having to wear jeans and a hoodie jacket because the breeze blowing through the house is chilly.

I love this weather in October, after a long, hot Summer. First of June? Not so much.

But I can't complain too much, because it made for a nice drive in Ryan's un-air-conditioned truck to go pick up a load of misc. wood a lady gave away via Freecycle (to get it out of the basement while her husband is out of town, mwah-ha-ha-ha!).


There was a couple of 2x4's and trim, alright. There was also (4) 2x6, like 12 or 14 or 16 feet long. I'm not good with guesstimating measures, but we had to stick them through the back window of Ryan's extended-cab truck and they went all the way to the dash, and still hung several feet out past the tailgate. There was at least an entire all-the-way-around a room length of plate rail trim, and a length of fancy shelf wood with a rounded-over edge.
I can't remember what all else, but it was a good haul.

This chilly weather is unusual for this time of the year, but can't complain about the rain we've gotten this past week.

Speaking of rain, I discovered we have a rain forecasting door.

The new screen door we put in a couple of weeks ago between the carport and back porch usually smacks back closed when I go in or out of it, on account of the spring attached to it.
A few days ago I came in from the carport and the door stopped right there, about 6 inches open.


I thought, Hmm....is it supposed to rain?
I came inside and checked the weather forecast on my computer and it said we had a slim to no chance for rain that day/night.

Again, I thought, Hmm...I'm not sure I believe that. So I took the above picture to remind me (and as proof) in case it did rain later.

It not only rained, a severe t-storm popped up and it rained cats & dogs. We got 1.3 inch that night.


The day before yesterday we were going in and out and the screendoor went, hesitated, then closed. I told J, "we're going to get a little bit of rain later", not anything like we got the other night.
Sure enough, later that evening we got a light shower.

Yeah, yeah...humidity, barometric, blah blah blah. I think it's pretty darn cool having a door that predicts rain. lol.

As I was saying, the rain we got did good things for stuff we're growing around here.
J harvested our first "crop" of zucchini squash this morning:


There were also (2) ripe blueberries on one of my three blueberry bushes. I've had these bushes for about 3 - 4 years now, and they just never have done very well. I don't think they get enough water. They're small for their age and don't produce many berries.
They have made berries before, but I've never gotten there in time to see any ripe ones before the squirrels and/or birds make off with them.  These babies must have turned as I walking down there, haha!
(Yes I did eat them. They were yummy!)



This tomato plant took off. I bet it doubled it's height
this week alone. 
Got 3 Sunflowers now. They aren't very tall, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment