Sunday, May 27, 2012

Garden Update

It's been awhile since we visited the garden. When I say "we", I mean me, too. Last time I walked down there was a couple of weeks ago.  We had a few good days of rain so it didn't need watering, and on other days J or Ryan watered it.  But J's at the Station today, and Ryan was at a friends' house, so it was up to me.

We really don't have much of a garden this year, only some Zucchini, Lima Beans, Tomatoes and Sunflowers.
I had some different Peppers and some Onions I tried to sprout but they never did work after the newspaper seed pots experiment went bust.

I planned to buy some Pepper plants, because I want to try to make some homemade Salsa this year, but one of J's friends told him not to plant anything else, because he had so much planted he was growing enough for everyone. He's not kidding. He enjoys gardening a lot, but doesn't can or freeze what he grows, he gives most of it away.

Plus J and his partner have several planters and a large garden at the Station. Theoretically what they raise there is supposed to feed the Station, but the guys on the other shifts refuse to help with the garden, won't water, sure as heck won't weed. And a lot of times when they are left veggies to eat, the things will still be laying there when J goes back next shift, so he ends up bringing most of it home.

So between his friend's massive garden, and the Station garden, and my newspaper seed pots experiment fail, he just wasn't very hyped about home gardening this year. What I managed to sprout and plant, is what there is. 

Zucchini Squash

Lima Beans

Tomato Blossom, hopefully will see
some baby tomatoes soon!

Pretty Sunflower
There's a whole section of empty garden space between the zucchini, beans, tomatoes and the sunflowers. I was thinking about trying to raise pumpkins - again. That's something no one (we know) raises. I've tried about four times to raise pumpkins and haven't (quite) succeeded yet. Back in '06 I managed to raise two little ones, only about a third of the size they should have been.


No comments:

Post a Comment