Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Pie Crusts, Chocolate Pie, and The Feels

After J left for work this morning, I laid in bed and read for a little while, 'til I dozed off again a couple of hours later. During that little nap, I had a bad dream.

I don't dream much, or don't recall it if I do. Or I dream in weird, short snippits that aren't really about anything.

This morning's dream was long, went on a long time, with a lot going on, and I thought I had watched my Mom get killed in a plane crash.
Turned out she wasn't on the plane that I watched crash, though, so it was all good.

I finally got out of bed, and decided to make the pie crusts I've been planning to make for awhile.
I needed some pie tins (my old ones are in pretty badly used shape) so I finally picked up a couple of 3-packs when I went grocery shopping yesterday.

I had the recipe from when I made homemade pie crusts before, using Self-rising flour, but this time I had some All-purpose flour, so thought I'd give a try making them the recommended way.

I had found a Crisco Flaky Pie Crust recipe, but noticed it called for Bleached flour, and - of course, because isn't it always the way - mine is Unbleached.

So I went online to try to figure out what is the difference, and the King Arthur Flour website says Unbleached is okay to use in pie crusts.

I had copied the Crisco recipe, and the King Arthur "Generous Version" recipe, since I was making several crusts, I figured I could make more at one time. (Bad idea.)

Eventually I used my original recipe, substituting 1 cup Self-rising flour with 1 cup All-purpose Flour and 1 tsp. Salt,
1/3 cup of Crisco shortening  (chilled in freezer)
and 2 Tablespoons ice water.


Usually I work in the quiet, or whatever usual noise there is. I don't typically need outside noise, because it's always so noisy inside my head.

But today I thought I'd turned the TV on to one of the music stations, because music is always (usually) nice to work to.

I turned on the 80's station, being that was my Era. I was a teen/high schooler in the early 80's. Loved the music of the time, still do.

Turns out, though, the music is a double-edged sword.
I had some good times in the 80's....
but I made a lot of bad decisions. Have a lot of regret.

A particular song came on that reminded me of someone I miss a lot.
Which led to more memories, and it was all down hill from there.
Duh-press-sing.

Finally I went and turned it to the 50's channel.
I miss the 50's.

Got my pie crusts made, flash frozen, wrapped in foil and into the freezer.


R had requested a chocolate pie recently, so while I was making crusts anyway, I made an extra to make him a pie.


My Mom was the chocolate pie maker....as far as we knew.
Until I asked her the recipe. She said she got it from (my Dad's Mom), who got it from her Church recipe book. (So much for Family Heirloom recipes, LOL.)

(I'll try to remember to make a printable recipe later.)

Separate 3 eggs. Beat yolks.

In saucepan combine:
3 beaten egg yolks
1 cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup of Milk

Stir until thick, stirring constantly.
It should be thick by the time it boils.

Remove from heat, add 1 teaspoon of Vanilla.

Pour into baked pie shell.
(Pre-bake the pie shell. I sometimes forget I'm supposed to bake the pie shell before adding the filling)

The recipe didn't come with instructions for pre-baking the shell. I just put it in on 350* until it seems baked enough.

To make the meringue, beat the egg whites with electric beater, adding about 1/4 cup sugar gradually.

Spoon/spread meringue over pie and bake in oven 'til browned.
I use 350* for a bit, then Broil for a bit. (Or a little longer if I don't stand right there and keep an eye on it.)


I think the crusts made with the All-purpose was a little harder to make, maybe took a little more physical effort.

At any rate, it seemed like a crap load of work for 7 crusts and a chocolate pie.

Between that, and the emotions, I feel like I've been through the wringer today.

No comments:

Post a Comment