Saturday, January 31, 2015

Last Day of January

It might appear by my general lack of postings this month that I've been doing a lot of not much.

But au contraire, ma cherie.

To start, I allotted the whole month to decluttering my bedroom.

Yes, the whole month.
Most people could likely do in a day what I've taken a month to do, but I function a little differently.
I have to break projects down into manageable parts, or I get overwhelmed and can't even get started.
So I pick one thing to do, and I get it done.

For instance, one day I went through the drawers of my dresser and weeded out pajamas, undies, socks, and intimates.
Another day I sorted through my clothes. Shoes. Another time, J's clothes.
The bottom of the closet, the top of the closet.
And so on.

When I was done with my task, I'd usually go and work on another project allotted to this month - making (4) Putz/Glitter houses.
Which, except for the embellishments, I did get done.


(I've even already started on February's (4) Putz/Glitter projects, but it's a short month and a harder build so I'll need all the time I can get, and to forgive myself if I don't finish them by the end of the month.)

In addition to some children's books I've been selling off on ebay for the past couple of months,as part of my bedroom de-cluttering I found several items in my closet I also listed for sale.
I made about $100.00 this month, after fees.

Previously I had stacks of coupons, household binder/papers, bill paying, store rewards info, etc. etc. in the floor here beside my desk chair. I weeded through all of it and threw out old/expired/useless stuff and relocated (most of) it (to the livingroom, I'll still have to deal with finding a regular place for it sometime later).

Some of the stuff in the bottom of my closet was boxes of my genealogy/family research notes and books and such from when I started family history researching years ago, before we or most anyone had internets full of data.
Most of the data can be found now on the internet, but I had put a lot of work into recording, noting, and making connections, that I didn't want to lose, or try to have to figure out/piece together again.

But neither did I want to keep all these boxes full of old papers around.
In the end I decided to start digital scanning the papers.
There's a ton of papers (and I lose interest after about an hour of scanning) so it's going to take me a good while to finish, but I've made a pretty good start, and will keep chipping away at it.

I also had one of (one of) my Grandmother's photo albums I had brought home from Mom/Dad's a few months ago to scan/organize the photos. For whatever reason I just never could seem to get started on it, so since the album was here in my bedroom I made it a task, and got all the pictures scanned and date sorted.

But that's not all!
A few days that J was off work and was at home (he's spent a lot of his off-days this month dealing with his Dad's medical and financial issues) we got some projects done around the house.

We got some trim put up around the french doors between the kitchen and livingroom.
Got some more "planking" on the kitchen wall.
Got a corner shelf installed above the doorway/pot-pan wall:

It'll look better, hopefully, when there's a ceiling and new floor, and it's all painted.

We had been tearing out the old ceiling a section here and there, to make it easier to dispose of, but the other day J says, "Might as well just get it all done", which I wasn't prepared for, and spent the entire following two days cleaning up the resulting mess of plaster and dust and dirt and filth from everything.

Another day, the weather wasn't too good for being able to work outside, which meant we didn't drag the table saw out to cut more "planking" for the kitchen walls, so okay, next project, the upstairs bathroom.

The upstairs bathroom is directly above the downstairs bathroom, which is on the other side of the (what was the previous kitchen).
We needed to cut into the (old kitchen) wall to be able to get to the bathtub drain line reaching from upstairs to down under the house.
Long story short, we ended up taking the sheetrock off of almost the entire wall.

One day a couple of weeks ago the weather was nice for getting outside and I said, I want to work on the chicken house!
J was agreeable, I guess because, while I've been wanting/trying to have chickens for a couple - or several - years now, our friends and family have chickens now.
He sees them posting pictures of their chickens and the eggs they're getting on FB, so now I'm not as crazy as he thought as I was and now having chickens is a great idea.

Unfortunately we couldn't get a lot done before running out of materials.
There was still a good bit of the free scrap wood we'd collected a couple of Summers ago but sadly most of it was weather rotted and wasted.
But now he's more on the stick trying to scrounge up more free scrap wood for us to use to finish it, so maybe we'll be able to get this going on soon.

Plus, things like, K's doctor appointment, loading/carrying a load of firewood to D's, picking R up from work one day, running errands with R, going to nursing home with J, coupon/deal shopping, and the usual things like laundry, dishes, and fixing meals.
Not to mention all the hours required keeping informed by FB and checking out all the ideas on Pinterest! lol.

So it's been a pretty full/busy month, but it's been good.
Getting things done, but not in a stressful way.
I start my tasks at my leisure, take my time, whatever.  It gets done.

(I used to be a lot different from this. I stressed out over everything. Everything needed to be done, like yesterday. I set goals for myself I could never meet, and was constantly failing my own expectations.)

No comments:

Post a Comment