Thursday, January 15, 2015

Homemade Chocolate Milk Syrup

Mmm, chocolate milk.
I've loved chocolate milk ever since I was a little kid and my Grannie made it for me by mixing Hershey's cocoa powder and sugar.
Sometimes I still make myself a glass of it so I can eat the chocolatey clumps at the top of the milk that don't dissolve well.

My boys, who also still love chocolate milk even though they're adults now, too, don't appreciate the delicacy, lol.
They were raised mostly on Quik powder, that dissolved away, and eventually liquid Chocolate Milk Syrup. 

Yes, my boys are in their 20's and I still have to buy Chocolate Milk Syrup.

As part of my quest to do more home-making things, I decided to try making homemade Chocolate Milk Syrup.
(Scroll to the end of this post for a printable recipe.)


The only ingredients are ones pretty much everyone probably already has in their kitchen - water, powdered cocoa, sugar, salt and vanilla extract.

That's it. No high fructose corn syrup, glycerides, sorbates, artificial flavorings, perseratives, etc.  

I whisked the powdered cocoa, sugar, water, and salt in a larger sized pot and heated it over medium heat.
(If you're using a non-stick pot, use a wooden or plastic spoon.)


I whisked constantly, bringing it to a boil, and let it boil for a minute to two minutes.

Then I removed it from the heat and added the vanilla extract.

After letting it cool down some, I used a funnel to pour it into the empty Aldi brand chocolate syrup container.
You can store in a mason or other glass jar or any empty plastic squeeze bottle you might have on hand.


It turned out delicious, and it was so easy to make, I'd say it was as convenient to make at home as it is to buy it in the store.
(Not to mention, way cheaper.)


The website I got the recipe from says it'll last several weeks in the fridge.
We know it's good for at least 2.5 to 3 weeks, lol.

Printable recipe Via BabySaver$.com


No comments:

Post a Comment