Saturday, January 03, 2015

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year

Our regularly scheduled Christmas plans went awry, but this time it didn't have anything to do with the work schedules for a change.
Unfortunately, it was due to my Aunt and Uncle, who were hosting our traditional Christmas Eve Day family gathering at their house, were sick.

It worked out okay. Except for not getting together with the family and all.
J was scheduled to work Christmas day, so I had already planned to have our own little family Christmas deal Christmas Eve night, after we got back from my Aunt's.
The day before, while I'd been fixing all the treats and goodies they all like, I had put together a lasagna to pop into the oven when we got back, so that was already done and ready to cook, and I didn't have to pull a Christmas meal out of my a...er, ear.

My other Aunt came up and joined us later.
She brought me this funny cross-stitched piece:


It's a funny picture, but she doesn't really think I'm a bad cook (even though the smoke detectors call the fam to dinner sometimes, lol). She mostly got it because of the frog.
Because my last name is pronounced "croaker", and at one time I collected frog-themed junque.

I did end up having to pull a Christmas dinner out of...the blue the next day.

I had thought it'd just be me, R, and K at home on Christmas Day, and we'd do whatever we usually do on any other day.
Basically, Christmas was over for us the day before. So I had thought.

Ended up, D and T stayed over a couple of days longer.
At one point T made a comment about a lot of her friends on FB posting about they were having this and that for Christmas dinner.
It occurred to me I probably should think about feeding us all.
I would have just made chili or spaghetti or whatever....it was R that said we needed turkey and all the fixings.
Luckily I had roasted and froze an extra turkey at Thanksgiving (when they are on sale cheap, cheap!), so I heated it up and made tater salad, creamed corn, macaroni and cheese, and some rolls.

I had considered going to Florida again the week after Christmas to visit my parents and sister/family, but, meh. Couldn't get in the mood to go/leave home/long ride.

Didn't have any special plans for New Year's Day, other than eating some collards and black eyed peas for good fortune through the new year.
Didn't have any pork, but I had some Venison cube steaks, which should be just as good, and just in case, I fried them in bacon grease.

Also had cornbread, biscuits and gravy.
MmmmMm, them's some gooooood eatins!



Kicked back, yummy dinner and sweet tea, watching some "Twilight Zone" episodes on the tube big screen (gotta move into the next century, I guess!).

Like most everyone else, I have "resolutions" for the new year, but most are the same as the past few years: clearing out the house/fixing up the house.

I've joined a hoarders support group online, and it's really making a difference already, getting/keeping me motivated to let go of stuff.  It's a great group.

Didn't get much in the way of home improvement done the past few weeks, but we did get the kitchen window and the french door opening trimmed out.

My one new resolution is to try to get the interest rates on our mortgage/loan lowered.
I don't deal well with financial, personal business stuff, so I don't look into changing things when I should. I know I should, we've wasted a ton of money because of it.

I just hate, hate, hate talking about something I don't know what I'm talking about, and I do not comprehend the tricky terms the financiers use to get way more money out of you than you thought you would have to repay.
I thought if I borrowed (for example) $10,000 at 5% interest, I paid back $10,000 plus 5% interest.
Ohhh nooo nooooo, that's not the way it works after all!
I don't have a clue how it does work, just that it's not like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment