Friday, January 18, 2013

Where To Put the Food?

My kitchen remodel is still a work in progress after several years, mostly because I never have loved the way the cabinets looked. They are too tall! I think the kitchen sink hits at about my diaphram.

Up until this week I had an island with stools in here and the cabinets didn't look as odd, but I have wanted and wanted an eat-in kitchen until I finally decided to try putting this old kitchen table I had out on my back porch in there. It's a bit of a tight fit, but I kind of like it. Except it looks so weird, because the cabinets make it look like a miniature dollhouse table or something.


I've decided we'll attempt to cut a few inches off the base cabinets, and then lower the upper cabinets. What's the worst that can happen, we'll ruin them and have to get new cabinets? Wouldn't hurt my feelings a whole lot...other than the money we'd have to spend again, but I need to be happy in my kitchen, and these cabinets, as they are, make me sad.


So does this thing. This storage set-up was in my laundryroom/pantry before we built on a new laundryroom/pantry and made the original laundryroom/pantry into an entry/mudroom. I have my dishes, glasses, pots, pans, baking pans, glass pans, Tupperware and stuff like that in my kitchen cabinets, so I needed a place to put Food, so we moved this thing into the kitchen to put food stuffs: cereal and breakfast items, chips, snacks, canned foods, pasta, condiments, and so on.


I don't like this thing anymore, I'm sick of looking at it, and I have other plans for that wall. But, I can't move it out until I can figure out where to put the food.

In the pantry, right? Thing is, the pantry isn't connected to the kitchen. It's not a nice, neat little closet with shelves. You have to go through the mudroom and what is basically out to the enclosed part of the back porch and there's a room with a washer, dryer, and a couple of big, black plastic shelves where I keep my stockpiles of food. Not handy, readily available to grab when I'm in the kitchen cooking foods.

My question is, where do people with not many kitchen cabinets in the kitchen put their food?

No comments:

Post a Comment