Friday, December 13, 2013

DIY Reese's Trees

My family loves Reese's peanut butter candy... I don't love the price of them. I can get fairly good deals on the bags of Reese's miniatures with sales/coupon deals, but the bags of Trees only come with a few in the package and make me feel like I'm not getting my money's worth.

Back in the Spring at Easter I found out I could make homemade Reese's candy using items I already have at home and all of which I got cheap by shopping sales and using coupons.

This recipe comes from the Brown Eyed Baker.

In a saucepan combine 1 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/4 cup unsalted butter (I used whatever I Can't Believe It's Not Butter was in my fridge), and 1/4 cup light brown sugar.


Heat until completely melted and starting to bubble a little bit, stirring constantly.


Remove from heat and add 1 and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring it in well.


You should end up with a doughy mixture.


Pinch out small chunks of the mixture to shape into - whatever you're making, Reese eggs, or in this case trees.

My first attempt at shaping out a tree didn't work so well, haha.


I ended up shaping out triangles and adding a small block at the bottom.


Put the trees into the refrigerator to set while you melt a bag of milk chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the microwave or a double boiler. (I still do it the old fashion way, double-boiler.)


Dip and flip the trees in the melted chocolate, tap off and return to fridge to harden.


I had a little melted chocolate left in the pan so I dipped some mini pretzels to use it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment