Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Paddy's Day Dinner

St. Patrick's Day is another day I don't really 'celebrate' much...I used to dress the kids in green for school, whatever...but the weather has been so nice, I'm feeling good...our last name is Irish, so I thought, why not, I'll give an Irish dinner a go.


I found a likely looking (read: easy) recipe for corned beef and cabbage. I'd never had corned beef & cabbage before, never bought a corned beef brisket before, so this was all new to me.

I cut the recipe in half, so I quartered 5 baby red potatoes and, I didn't have any fresh onions so I used some frozen chopped onions.
Added 2 cups of water and some Sam Adams beer (I don't know if it's Irish, it's just what we had), then added the corned beef brisket.

I let it cook on high for about 6 hours, give or take. The directions said 7, but it was looking done before then. I added the cabbage for what was supposed to have been another hour but my Aunt had come up to have dinner with me and she wanted to go to town to look at some antique and stuff stores.

By the time we got back and ate, dinner was pretty well done and then some.


Looks nasty, but it tasted good.  Or else I was just that hungry. I had been afraid, smelling it all morning, I wasn't going to like it.

Otherwise I tried making an Irish Soda Bread.


(I don't use enough to buttermilk to keep it in stock, so I just use the lemon juice-milk trick.)



Sorry to say, we were not very impressed with the bread.
That may have had more to do with my baking than the bread itself.
I baked it the amount of time it said and it looked done, only to discover the inside was still dough.
I baked it longer, and longer again, until I was afraid it was going to burn.

The inside was more done, but was still very heavy, like maybe it wasn't done. It was also pretty salty, which it might supposed to be, I'm not sure.

Anyway, Happy St. Patrick's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment