Thursday, March 26, 2015

Shower Soothers

Or, the shower soothers that almost wasn't. Essential oils apparently aren't that popular/available in rural-ish Georgia*.

So J has sinus issues pretty much year-round. He eats sinus/allergy pills like candy, but after awhile they stop working for him or whatever.  So I look for different ideas/things to try to help him.

I came across this Shower Soothers thing on Pinterest one day.
When I was a kid and had allergies or a cold, Grannie would rub 'Vicksav' under my nose.
I also remember she used to put a pot of water boiling on the stove and my aunt would bend over it with a towel over her head and breathe in the steam. 
So I thought, a smelly thing in a hot shower might help open up his head.

I had a bottle of Peppermint essential oil I had gotten awhile back for another recipe (I haven't gotten around to trying yet), then I needed Eucalyptus oil.
This recipe called for Rosemary, Eucalyptus and Lavender, but the effects of the Rosemary and Lavender wasn't what I was going for, so I went by this chart that pairs Peppermint and Eucalyptus for clearing sinuses.


The recipe instructed to use a silicone muffin tin, or aluminum cupcake liners - but not paper liners on account of they stick - but I didn't have either of those so I just used regular tin foil in my muffin tin.


I baked them in the oven for as long as it said, and let them cool awhile, but probably should have let them set overnight. I think I was afraid they'd lose their smelly too fast, so I wanted to get them in the baggie asap.

They were really delicate, chalky. One fell apart when I pulled the aluminum off of it. I just added a drip of water and squeezed it into a ball and half-wrapped it in aluminum foil and stuck it in the baggie, too.


The verdict: J said he 'thought' it helped, but it dissolved away really fast.

If I try these again, I might try adding more water, and letting them dry out longer to try to make them really really hard, so maybe they won't dissolve as quickly.

*I know people that sell essential oils, not to mention I have Amazon Prime 2-day shipping, but when I get a notion I want something, I want it right then. Even if it takes me a week, lololol.

No comments:

Post a Comment