Monday, April 02, 2018

It's the Little Things These Days

It's corny, but I was excited about it, lol.

I'm not much of a TV watcher. Sometimes I turn it on for a different noise than that of my mind.
It often helps me be able to fall asleep when I can't quit thinking (obsessing) about things at night.
Sometimes I turn it on for....company?

At any rate, one day last week, or maybe the week before, I had it on while I was working on my Diamond Painting craft. I can't remember what show I turned it on, and I was really only paying scant attention to it, but it was talking about Andrew Jackson needing to get his militia to New Orleans to prevent the British from getting to the Mississippi River.

Some of the things I remember about it was that they had to travel through the Louisiana swamps - there weren't any roads then - so that means dealing with snakes and gators, eeeek!
They got there, and Jackson only had (however many) men, and the British had (many times more).
Jackson devised a strategy of setting up, possibly at the top of a hill, with the river to one side, something to the other, so as to funnel the British in...something something.

The British came and started marching towards the Americans, and Jackson waited until they got close and ordered his men to fire on them. Then another wave came and they shot them down, and...I think I got distracted and got up and wandered off because I can't remember what happened after that.

Fast forward to day before yesterday. I was riding in the car with Ryan, and he had Pandora playing on the radio.
Usually he puts it on the AC/DC station for me, but we had talked about, I had told him one of my FB friends had just discovered (the local 80's radio station), and had said she wished they had a throw-back country station like that, and I said to him, I wish that, too, sometimes.

My parents were young when I was born, so growing up I listened to their "popular" music, and also their "classic" music, what they liked when they were teenagers. But I spent probably as much time with my grand parents as I did my parents, so I also listened to a lot of even older, and also "popular country" music at the time: singers like Tom T Hall, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie, and so on.

So he found an older Country station and I was having a BIG old time listening to all the old songs I remembered from my youth. Brought back lots of great memories.

 Anyway, so this song, "Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton came on, and I knew of the song from way back, but as listened to it I realized, I KNOW this song. I know Ol' Hickory. This really happened, it's not just a catchy tune.

So that was pretty awesome, to me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment