Thursday, October 29, 2015

Happy Halloween

This year's Halloween decor.

 Mother Spider on the ceiling of the small foyer inside the carport door/at the bottom of the stairs/between the kitchen and dining room.
Her Spider Babies running along the door, inside and outside (startled some JW's, lol). 



Mother spider is made of black crepe paper streamers (Dollar Tree), two black balloons (Dollar Tree) - one blown up larger than the other, and two circles cut from red card stock paper (you could also use regular paper colored with marker).  All secured with scotch tape.

The Spider Babies are Dollar Tree spider rings, with the ring part cut off, and a small magnet glued on. (You can read about how I made them Here and Here.)

The mantel:

 

White ceramic urn - Free, inherited - made by Grandmother in 1960's
Sticks/branches - Free, picked up out of yard
Window - Free, salvaged
Clear Oil Lamp - Free, gift/inherited - given to me by Mother-in-law, belonged to her Grandmother. (I did have to replace the chimney glass that was missing/broken/gone.)
Oil Painting - Free, gift - painted for me by an artist friend from Colorado
2 Pumpkin candles, Pumpkin Mug, Black Cat Halloween Sign - Free, freecycle
Handmade Clay Jack-o-lantern - Free, gift - Made by youngest son in 5th grade, won a prize in School Art show


Vintage Blow-mold lighted jack-o-lantern - 50¢ at thrift store
Red glass (compote?) dish - $1.00 at flea market (Long time ago, I used to pick these dishes up for $1.00 or less at flea markets or yard sales. Now they cost $15+.) (Red plaid pj pants fabric scrap = $0)
 I found the black table runner at Dollar Tree for $1.00. It was just the right size for my mantel. They also had red and green ones, good for Christmas.
Skeleton head - $1.00 at Dollar Tree
Pumpkin dish - about $8.00 at Walmart, but you can usually find these cheaper at thrift stores or yard sales.


I found the black candelabra(s) (there are 2) at a yard sale years ago for $1.00.
I made the plastic canvas jack-o-lantern years ago.
The crazy-faced jack-o-lantern was (is) a toy, bought to entertain my youngest son years ago.
I forget where the wooden/smiling j-o-l came from, but I've had it for years, also.
The other plastic, lighted j-o-l's I believe came from the Dollar Tree over the years.

China Cabinet:


Hobnail oil lamp - 75¢ at yard sale
Black roses, Dollar Tree (When I bought/made these, they didn't sell black roses, so I spray painted red ones. Now they sell black ones, around Halloween time.) In the matching ceramic urn, made by Grandmother in the 1960's.
Wine bottles were free, filled with food-colored water...I bought a package of stickers at Dollar Tree, but you can also print your own from the internet.

Skeleton - 10¢ at yard sale
Welcome Witches and Ghouls sign - Free, freecycle
Black scary netting stuff, Dollar Tree
I made the painted, wooden "ghost rising out of scary books" figure menia years ago.
Spider candle holders from Dollar Tree.
Trick or treat animated bowl, forgot how much, from Walmart, long time ago.
Also, lighted pumpkin on top came from Walmart, long time ago, before I shopped thriftily.

I found this big jack-o-lantern bucket/planter at a thrift store just last month for $1.00. Turned out to be just the thing for holding my small collection of children's Halloween books.


The buffet, which did not turn out well.
There's not much co-hesiveness here, or levels of height, or...whatever else decor aspects are missing.


The wall behind the buffet is torn out while we work on the plumbing of the bathroom on the other side of the wall, so I hung a white sheet to try to hide the worst of the ugliness of it.
Our kitten kept climbing the sheet and tearing it down, and running across the buffet to make her escape.

We were also getting ready to go on a two week vacation in our camper in a few days, so I didn't have a lot of time to mess with trying to fix this, so....this is how it is.

For all my excuses as to why it didn't turn out well....it didn't turn out that well last Christmas either. I apparently have difficulty decorating a buffet top for some reason.
I'd say "decorating a flat surface", but the fireplace mantel is a flat surface and I think I do okay with it, so I don't know what the problem is exactly.


I glued a magnet to the underside of a plastic bug (from a package of bugs and stuff from the Dollar Tree). A magnet inside the lampshade - not glued - holds the bug onto the lampshade.
(In case I didn't explain that very well, see this post.)

I think the skeleton bookmark came from the same package as the bug.


"Little Scary Dude", that I made years ago when they still sold the cheap, plastic costumes and masks. 
I used a hooded shirt and pair of jeans of my son's, safety-pinned together and stuffed with newspapers, then dressed it in the costume.
Just found the "eyes" within the past couple of years, at Dollar Tree. 
Have meant to add shoes for ever, but just never got around to it, and now all the smaller sized shoes are long gone.

Yes, that's Kitty-Kitty on LSD's lap.
We were looking for her one day, and couldn't see her when she was laying down with her eyes closed, she blended into the black costume.
Silly Kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment