Sunday, December 30, 2018

Christmas Part 2

In addition to decorating, I celebrate the Christmas season in a couple of other ways, one is my traditional Christmas baking/making, and also doing Christmas-related Activities.
We don't really have many set Traditional activities we do. We used to, but things are always changing.
      For instance, we used to take the kids to the Mall every year to visit Santa and get The Photo, but they outgrew that in their teens.
      So many things change, over the years...kids grow up, marriages, deaths, illness, work schedules, activities shut down/get too expensive, etc. etc.

So, about as Traditional as it gets is that I just see whatever is going on, that looks fun to do, that fits our schedules, at that time.


One caveat to all that is the one Tradition I keep, that isn't really all that fun to me, is Christmas Shopping.

     I think I hang on to this Tradition for two reasons, that I can think of...one, obviously, is gift buying.
I started doing a lot of shopping online, but there's always a few I have no idea what to get, so I think going into the stores and looking, maybe I will find it.

The other reason is sentimental/emotional. Memories of Days Gone By.
    I miss the over-the-top, but tastefully-decorated Malls, the days when people didn't shop 24/7 and have everything they wanted, and a new sweater, record album, or doll was much appreciated.

I'm basically looking for something that's no longer there, but oh well, it's not so bad.  It's time spent with my family, and usually fulfills reason number one, even if I end up buying Sausage&Cheese Sets.

I didn't do too well photo-menting our shopping adventures, but the fun Cousin Eddie display was spotted during one of our outings.
     This was apparently a popular thing this year. I shared mine, and my sister shared one she saw in her area, and then my Aunt saw another one.


One that used to be more a Tradition, but fell mostly to the wayside over the years is going to look at Christmas light displays.
I really enjoy them, but I guess not enough to make a point of going most of the time.

This year, I made a point of us going to a couple of them.
      They were pretty awesome. I made more video than photos, and the photos didn't turn out very well...but Pupper enjoyed the lights, too.


Then there is my Traditional Christmas Treat making/baking I do every December.

I started making the white-chocolate-dipped Oreos a few - actually, many, at this point - years ago, after Oreo/Nabisco came out with them.
    The boys asked for a box one time, and I bought them a couple of times (a couple of Decembers) but they got to where the price was higher, and the cookie content was lesser, so I said, I believe I can make those. And I did.
     Later I added the white-chocolate dipped pretzels, and milk chocolate-dipped Oreos.
       
I could make these all year 'round, but I don't. Only December, so they remain Special.

I do make Rice Krispy treats year 'round, but only at Christmas will you see/get one of my Rice Krispy treat Wreaths.
      (Rice Krispy treats pressed into my bundt cake pan, wrapped in green saran-wrap, red-hot cinnamon candies glued with red cake frosting.)
      (The plate is made from cardboard. Traced the top edge of my bundt cake pan, cut it out, wrapped it in tin foil.)


Other than those two particular things, the treats may be different from year to year. Depends on requests, or new things I want to try out.

Believe it or not, I had never actually made gingerbread cookies before!
    I mostly stopped trying to make cookies a good while ago, because I apparently suck at making cookies. But Ryan was having a gathering with friends, and wanted some Christmas party activities to do, and decorating gingerbread cookies was one of the ideas.

   I suggested he get Little Debbie gingerbread men and decorate those, but then oddly enough I didn't see any of those in the store this year.
    So, I said, well, guess I'll give it a try. And, amazingly, they came out good! I credit my Kitchen-aid mixer. I'm not sure why but, everything I make with it seems to come out really good.


I made a batch of Candied Pecans (pecans from my backyard..I'm so proud of that, except I can't take credit for it. All credit to the Trees, Mother Nature, God) and Cheese Straws to give as gifts.



Ryan had mentioned something about a gingerbread cheesecake awhile back. He wasn't sure such a thing existed, but if it didn't, it should.
    So, me being me, I came home and researched it, and found out, yes there is such a thing, and I made one for Christmas.  Starting with baking homemade gingersnap cookies to use for the crust.

The cookies came out excellent! The cheesecake was good also (I'm told. I don't like cheesecake myself), but seriously, I never have been a good cookie maker.



For my last amazing feat (LoL) we start with growing my own Chocolate-Mint plants.
    Don't be terribly impressed, Mint isn't actually that hard to grow.

But back in the Summer I picked some of it and put in a jar with Vodka, stored in a dark cabinet, gave it a shake every so often.
    Few months later, I strained out the leaves, and was left with Chocolate mint flavoring.
        It ain't too pretty, but it's good. 


I used it to make homemade Ande's candies and Peppermint Patties. (Also not pretty, but my first time. I need practice.)



The recipe called for semi-sweet chocolate chips, so I'm not sure why mine came out looking more milk-chocolate than black-chocolate, like the recipes I followed pictures.

Anyway, I'm told they were good, and everyone was impressed to hear I made the mint flavoring from plants growing in my backyard.




No comments:

Post a Comment