Monday, September 25, 2017

Recipe: Chicken & Gravy Toast

I learned this recipe from my Mom, one of my favorite childhood dishes.
   She generally made sides. I can't remember what. I don't really care for sides.

This is a meal in of its own, but might also be considered quick or knock-off chicken-n-dumplins.
Pretty much the same concept except using toast rather than dumplins.

I don't generally make chicken-n-dumplins unless the weather is chilly/cold outside, and even then it's probably somewhat a special occasion; company, or someone's birthday.

I buy boneless/skinless chicken breasts in the big packages at Sams Club. They usually come 6 or 7 breasts to a package, and they are really big. I divide them up, one or two breasts per freezer baggie.
Two breasts will make about three meals for us.

I start by boiling the frozen breasts in water (or broth if I have any or remember to use it) for a couple of hours. You can boil less time, but the longer they're boiled, the more tender they are.

If I have any broth left after boiling I let it cool and pour it into freezer baggies and freeze it. 


You can use broth or water for the gravy. Broth gives it a little more flavor, I think.
     I don't know the measurement for the amount of broth/water. My Mom measured in inches - "2&1/2 - 3 inches deep in a skillet" - I was using a sauce pan so mine was more like 3-4 inches deep, or just over a quart is the amount there was after thawing two baggies of frozen broth. 

My gravy pretty much doubled once it thickened, so I could have probably done as well with one baggie of broth.


In a bowl I whisked 1 cup of flour (self-rising, I haven't tried All-Purpose so I don't know if it would work) and 1 cup of milk.


Added it to the broth and stirred and stirred and stirred.
  Eventually, it thickens. When it starts to thicken, turn off the heat. It'll thicken more from the heat of the pan.


After boiling, I let the chicken cool so I can handle it, or if I'm in a hurry I use fork & knife, and I shred it up.

Add however much shredded chicken you want, or have, to the thickened broth/gravy. 
   Stirtup (translation: stir it up).


Salt & Pepper to taste.
   We're not big on spices, but we love a good deal of pepper in chicken gravy. (And milk gravy, too.)
Stirtup.


Toast some loafa bread,


Top with chicken-gravy, and voila' (or as some people say, wa-la! lol). Yummy to yer tummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment